December 11, 2009

New Updates

Well over the past week, our family has gone through many emotions. I will try to recount as best I can without boring you all.

On Thursday, December 3rd, I went to my obstetrician for my 9 week check up and to have an ultrasound. The ultrasound tech was extremely rude and couldn't find anything. She implied that I was never pregnant, which wasn't true. I saw Dr. Woods and he told me to have lab work that day and on Saturday to confirm my hormone levels. I did and we went home not knowing what that would hold. It could have been a number of things...missed miscarriage, ultrasound mishap, etc. We were thinking the worst.

On Friday, December 4th, we went on with our days as usual still not knowing what was going on. Still we had to put our faith in God and his will.

On Saturday, December 5th, I went back for my blood work, when the lab technician said that someone from Dr. Woods' office had cancelled my blood work. She told me that my levels were 18 and 2200, which were normal for an 8-9 week pregnant woman. So I was relieved and just kept trusting that God had everything under control. At this point only our immediate families knew what was going on.

On Sunday, December 6th, we went to church and had dinner with friends that night. Still trusting in God.

On Monday, December 7th, our world fell apart again. The ultrasound was at 12:30 pm and she found the embryo, but I knew something wasn't right. I was asking questions, but I knew that by now there should be a heartbeat. She did tell us that there was no cord attached to the embryo. At that point, we knew we had lost the baby, but what was next shocked us. Waiting the next 45 minutes was awful. The nurses knew from my face that my ultrasound did not go well at all. They did as much as they could to comfort me and keep me away from the rest of the waiting room.

I was called back to the exam room, when Dr. Woods came in. He told me that I had a molar pregnancy. It is a little complicated to explain, but the brief explanation below:
Molar pregnancies are an uncommon and very frightening complication of pregnancy. The formal medical term for a molar pregnancy is “hydatidiform mole.” Simply put, a molar pregnancy is an abnormality of the placenta (afterbirth), caused by a problem when the egg and sperm join together at fertilization.

He told us that we would have to have a D&C to completely terminate the pregnancy and there were certain risks, such as blood transfusion might be needed, hysterectomy, cancer. The last one is what thoroughly scared both of us. I could handle the first two easier, but cancer is a little scarier for me. We prayed that night like we hadn't in a while. Totally scared and totally helpless.

On Tuesday, December 8th, I had to be at the hospital by noon and the procedure was supposed to be at 2 pm, but was running behind and didn't happen until 3 pm. Everything went well, and then we were told we would have to wait a few days on the pathology report.

On Wednesday, December 9th, the nurse and Dr. Woods both called as a followup to check on me and Jeremy. We both were at peace with everything but it was still a little nerve wracking waiting still.

On Thursday, December 10th, Dr. Woods called me and said NO CANCER! And a calm and sense of relief came over me. Praise the Lord!!

Now we go back to see Dr. Woods to see what birth control options we might have (as I cannot take the pills) and how often I will have to come to have blood work. As you may not know, we have to wait one year before trying to get pregnant again. Because the chances are higher in the next year of having another molar pregnancy. However, whatever the next year might hold, we know that God has some great plans. Until then, we will continue to enjoy life and enjoy it through our child's eyes. How sweet it is!

No comments: